Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Reflection of EDLD 5301


      Action research was something new to me at the beginning of this course, thus there were several highlights for me along this 5 week course.  Being an online class I had to have a strong discipline to do all the desired work in a timely manner.  I did not have any classmates to go to the library with or a professor I could personally talk to, thus completing the assignments were key. There were highlights in the lectures, readings, assignments, discussion board, and blogs.
      Lectures were a highlight for me because they helped me have a firm understanding of what was expected of me throughout the week.  Also, throughout the lectures several questions about the assignments and trouble shooting the assignments were key.  Although at times I did not want to watch the lectures or felt like it was five minutes I could spend on something else I always forced myself to start each week by starting the lectures.  Thus, lectures were the start of my week and helped me decide how to break up my week and if I needed to schedule any interviews.
        Readings were the heart of this class.  In all classes the content is the key to be successful in the course and beyond. The readings led me to have a firm grasp and understanding about what an action research plan truly is.  Also, the readings aided me in creating my plan step by step. Throughout my readings what caught my attention the most was in the Harris text when it discussed the strategies for sustaining improvement were very useful and something I have not learned about previously as this is only my second year teaching I have not thought a lot about how to improve my school, but rather how to improve my classroom.  My favorite method and the one I feel I would use the most is the Delphi Method.  I think this is a great way to get quick and easy feedback.  It also does it good job of showing the participants the other side to the issue to ultimately sway their opinion.  Ultimately, I feel that the readings were extremely valuable to my learning throughout this course.
       The assignments throughout this course were valuable in the since it made me put the content/ readings together and have a deeper meaning.  It forced me to truly analyze the text in a deeper way.  The action research project alone forced me to push myself to find the best research project for me and my school that I am truly passionate about.  My goal is to make a difference for my students and improve their learning to the highest levels it can be.  I am very anxious and excited to see what this next year will bring and what my findings will show.
        Lastly, I feel the most valuable piece of this course has been the interactions between the discussion boards and blogs.  I have enjoyed reading and learning about my fellow classmates action research plans.  I feel that I have built a solid relationship with a good amount of my classmates just by commenting back and forth.  I have felt that I have been a value to my many of them by commenting on their blog and giving them feedback just as they have helped me tremendously with mine.  It is amazing how much I have learned from my classmates who I have not meant in person.  Their knowledge shines through with their comments and has been greatly appreciated.  I look forward to seeing what they all learn and are able to find through their action research plans as well.  This course has been a valuable course and I feel it was well worth my time and money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment